Sunday, April 28, 2013

Nathdwara Yathra - 4

Jai Srinathji!
      Radhekrishna! The much awaited tour had come at last!  The main destination of this trip was Nathdwara. Next day by 8 am we reached the travels's office. The bus came late after some confusion regarding the starting point.We kept praying to the Lord frantically. At last the bus started forward. The first destination in the trip was Purana Srinathji Mandir. They say that the deity was originally consecrated here and then it was moved to the present location later on. 
It is an old temple with a photo of the Srinathji deity inside. A Pandit lives in the premises with his family. They are doing the daily seva to the deity. We sat there till the arathi time and took part in it. After that we moved forward to Rana Prathap Singh Smarak at a place called Haldighat. We can see sculptures depicting the historical incidents of Rana Prathap Sing's life with light and sound show.
    Rana Prathap Singh fought against the Mugal rulers vehemently. In the battle he faced Man Singh the Mugal commander. In the ensuing fight Prathap Singh's faithful horse Chetak was wounded fatally on one of his legs. The enemies were surrounding him. At that time one of his Jhala Sardar wore Prathap Singh's Royal insignia and made himself the target of the Mugal Army. Thus the Rana left the battle field along with some of his loyal followers. Chetak who was fatally wounded carried him as far2 miles where he encountered a stream on his path. While trying to jump over it he collapsed. Rana Prathap Singh built a monument for his faithful horse in this place. We saw the monument also and proceeded further to Eklingji mandir. 


       This temple is situated 22 kms from Udaipur. It is a very old temple of Lord Siva the main deity of Mewar dainasty. The magnificent architecture of this temple is really fantastic. All over Rajasthan we cant but admire the architectural fraternity of the people. The main idol is about 50 feet high depicting 4 faces of the Lord facing four directions. It is a beautiful temple which must be visited. 
      Srinathji is principal deity of the Vaishnava cult called Pushti marg. The saint Vallabhacharya established this form of worshiping the Lord in the Vatsalya bhava. It is said that the deity's arm and face emerged out of the Govardhan hills. The deity was worshiped in a temple on Govardhan itself. Later on it was moved from there to protect it from the hands of the Mugal emperor Aurengazeb to the present location in Rajasthan. It was in 1672 that the deity was consecrated at the present temple. The deity is that of Lord Krishna as a little boy with Hi left hand raised holding the Govardhan mountain. 
       We reached Nathdwara by 3 pm. The bus stopped at a bus bay on the outskirts of the town. From there we had to take an autorikshaw to the temple. The temple was closed at that time. We joined the queue standing in front of the temple. Ladies and gents have separate queues. By 4-30 the temple doors were opened and we were let inside through a different path from the gents. Inside another hall we were again made to stand. But we could see the first batch of visitors getting inside. Somebody said they were those who had booked for puja sevas. After letting them out the gents were let in.      
       Some of the ladies began to feel jealous of them. Some of them were  getting restless. One lady standing behind me (who seems to be new to this place) commented that the gopas are Krishna's favourites so he had let them in first. Immediately another one who was a regular visitor replied that first he will see off the gopas so that he can have more time with gopis. This caused a ripple of laughter among us and some of us fully supported her. 
      While all this was going on I had started worrying whether there would be enough time left for me to have the coveted darsan. Those who were regulars were saying that the temple closes every 30 mts. It was already nearing 4-30 and we were to reach the bus before 5 pm. I was worried whether I would be able to have my darsan before that. I enquired with a lady who supported the gopis earlier whether everybody would be allowed inside before 5 pm. The lady smiled and told me not to worry at all that the Lord never lets anybody go back disappointed. Whoever comes there to have His darsan is never disappointed she said. Though that quietened me for some time, as the time was dragging on I again began to feel desperate. 
      I cried from my heart of hearts to the Lord. "Oh Lord ! Please dont let me down. If the time is out then I cant wait for the next darsan. I will have to go back. I dont know whether I would be able to make a visit this far again. So please dont disappoint me." Time was going on still no sign of calling us in. Now tears slowly started welling in my eyes. At last we were let inside and I rushed like a mad woman holding on to the duppattah of the lady who was standing behind me. I knew she was a regular and she might know the techniques of getting good darsan. 
       As I stood in the crowd trying to get a glimpse of the coveted form my heart leaped with joy. The crowd was thronging inside and I was about 5 or 6 rows back. The lady with whom I came was standing beside me. She whispered in my years "have u seen your Takur? Didn't I tell you that you will have your darsan?" I smiled at her. Then she pushed me forward saying 'go!go! go forward near  and look at Him' I managed to inch my way forward and set my eyes on the beautiful form. I saw the Lord as a fascinating youth with a captivating smile. My eyes were getting wet at the divine darsan. The crowd was crushing me from all sides. I was slowly pushed out and stepped away from the crowd. The lady came near me and said 'Why don't you go inside again and have the darsan?' I hesitated as we are supposed enter from the right side and move out through the left side. How can go back to the right side entrance now? But she forcibly pushed me inside the door in front of the security guard who was totally unaware of what was happening. I again found myself standing in front of Srinathji. What a grace! This time I saw His dress, jewels etc. 
     Again I was slowly inched out of the pushing crowd. I was virtually crying. Then lady was still waiting outside for me. She asked me to have darsan of Bal Gopal deity which is on the left side of Srinaji sanctum. She also told me to visit Meerabai mandir and a Panduranga mandir before she left. I moved along the crowd and saw the Bal Gopal deity too. I came out and met my husband and we visited Meerabai mandir and also Panduranga mandir. By that time it was 5 pm. We rushed out of the temple and caught an auto to take us back to the bus. Almost all had returned except for a few people. We waited till everybody came back and then proceeded back to Udaipur.
Radhekrishna! Radhekrishna!

No comments:

Post a Comment